Monday, September 29, 2008

WWD Activity 3: Intertextuality

For my Non-Western World Literature class this semester, we are required to write Issue Frames (one page paper) for each novel that we read. These papers must include a thesis and support two claims or points that we want to make. One paper that I wrote was based on a play and the play's movie version. My main resources were made up of the play itself, the movie, class lecture notes, class debates, and an article review of the play. The way I created something "novel" and something original was basically by analyzing my rescources and giving my opinion on the text after intrepreting those resources.

I think my teacher was mainly concerned with my ability to generate a substantial thesis and follow the guidelines specified in the syllabus. He was very much interested in my opinion, but at the same time he wanted me to give specific support from the intertextual sources that were available that led me to my opinion.

I think the article review was the main intertextual resource that I used. I found that the author's points of view were very helpful in giving me ideas in which to generate my thesis. Also, my professor suggested we use direct references from the book whenever possible. I used direct quotes and indirect qotes, which are the most explicit expressions and forms of intertextuality.

No comments: