Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Freewrite: What Works Well in the Actual Observation Process

I observed two of my English 301 classmates write a letter to a potential WVU student who wanted to know more about the Professional Writing and Editing program. As I was doing this, I realized there were many more details to be alert and attentive to while I was observing and taking notes. I noted their specific jobs and roles they designated in order to effectively colloborate with their partner. One writer decided he would type, while the other one would give insightful input. The typist would refer back to the question frequently to make sure the information they were coming up with was actually relevant to the question. They both sort of "brainstormed" to achieve the correct phrasing of what they planned on writing. One partner would thoughtfully say aloud a sentence, while the other would verify agreement or a better term he had in mind. Also, I noticed they would always confer with one another after clarifying an important point. My placement affected the data I collected because my close proximity allowed me to observe every minute detail worth paying attention to. If my placement had been farther away and less convenient, then their discourse would have been less audible; thus prohibiting my observation. As the activity evolved, my data collection shifted in a postive way. By familiarizing myself with their discourse and methods to achieve the final written work, I felt like I could zone in on the most important details that led them to create the work.

No comments: